Everything You Need To Know and How to Automatically Extend Your Return Window
If you’ve purchased an item at Target, you probably know that you can bring most items back within a certain time. However, do you know what that time period is, or what qualifies and what doesn’t?
One secret for those who regularly shop at Target is that your credit card’s return protection can extend the period of the Target return policy so you have more time. To make this process nearly automatic, using an indispensable app, Sift, can keep track of these extensions for you automatically.
Let’s take a look at what Target’s return policy actually is, how your credit purchases extend your return window, and Sift’s ability to make your life easier.
Target Return Policy – How Does It Work?
For items purchased at Target, you can receive a fairly generous standard return policy. Most unopened purchases made within 90 days are eligible for a refund or an exchange with or without a receipt. Opened or damaged items return in-store will be up to the discretion of the store manager.
Exceptions and Extension to the Target Return Policy
Of course, there are exceptions to the Target Return Policy. Some items have a modified return policy noted on the receipt:
- Target-Owned Brand Items: If you’re unsatisfied with any Target Owned Brand item, these items can be returned within one year with a receipt for an exchange or a refund. These items may include Massimo, Embark, Circo, Shaun White, Sutton & Dodge, etc.
- Digital Media: Opened music, movies, video games and software cannot be returned. But they may be exchanged at the store for the same title, for the same or different gaming platform.
- Airbeds: Airbeds cannot be returned, but may be eligible for an exchange for a similar item.
- Collectibles: Opened or defective collectibles cannot be returned.
- All electronics and entertainment items must be returned within 30 days for a refund or exchange. For these items purchased between 11/1 – 12/25, the 30-day refund period will start on 12/26.
- Drones: Drones must be returned within 14 days of purchase for a refund or exchange.
- Carrier Contract Items: All items purchased with a carrier contract at a Target store must be returned or exchanged within 14 days. They may be subject to early termination fees per carrier contract.
- Seasonal, Holiday, & Limited-time Items: These items may have modified return policies. See receipt for more details.
- International Returns: Target stores cannot accept international returns or exchanges, including international returns and exchanges of online purchases.
- Target Mobile GiftCards and Target eGift Cards: These cannot be returned or redeemed for cash/store-credit except where required by law.
- Gasoline-Powered Items: For gas-powered items (i.e. lawnmowers) can only be returned to a Target store. Additionally, they must be completely emptied of hazardous substances such as gasoline or oil at the time of return.
[For more info on Target’s retailer return policy, click here. ]
Credit Card Return Protection
If you’ve made purchase with your credit card, you may be able to extend the aforementioned return window for Target’s return policy by using your credit card’s “return protection”. Return protection is included in nearly every major credit brand. It extends your return window (typically doubling it) or by creating a return policy for items that don’t come with one at all. Additionally, if Target refuses to accept your item, your credit card may reimburse you via statement credit.
Additionally, by signing up for the Target REDcard debit/credit card(s), cardholders receive an extra 30 days to return nearly all items purchased with their REDcard at Target and target.com.
Bear in mind that using your credit card’s return protection can take some of your time up. You’ll typically have to file a claim and interact with the credit issuer to receive your refund/exchange. Luckily, by using the Sift , it can help you manage your credit card purchases and how long you have before the extended return window runs out automatically. No more guesswork! Sift makes it easy to get your money back, even when Target says “No.”